LUCK is more than just a fun after-school activity (although it’s good for that, too!).
Students are administered the General Self-Efficacy Scale (GSE) upon arrival to the barn and at the end of each LUCK program. Our results show that students may have felt a greater ability to overcome challenges after learning new skills and working through problems with horses. Of particular note were the increased scores in two areas:
- Students scores increased 7 points between pre- and post-test scores for the statement: “I can remain calm when facing difficulties because I can rely on my coping abilities.”
- Student scores increased 6 points between pre- and post-tests for the statement: “When I am confronted with a problem, I can usually find several solutions.”
LUCK students enjoy the program. It’s something they can look forward to!
- “I liked learning about the ways you take care of a horse because I honestly thought they were easy–like a house pet. Seeing how they live makes you think about your own life.” –Kourtney
- “I struggle with anger and explosive behavior but felt really calm and relaxed with the horses. I wish I could be with them all the time. I wouldn’t get into so much trouble.” –Mercy
- “I enjoyed working with an animal I knew little about. It was unique and fun. It’s motivational. Riding the horse makes me want to do more.” –Deaja
- “I can’t wait to work with horses again.” –Ike